I am a Creative Director with a broad spectrum of experiences that meld hybrid Creative Direction and UX / UI Design. I've enjoyed equal footing in Design, Marketing, Strategy and Leadership; with a persistence in process, collaboration and user-centric experiences.
2008 - present
With my own business, I have worked with companies of all sizes, start-ups, and individuals as a Creative director, User ExperienceDesigner, and consultant. I’ve had the opportunity to establish the vision for new organizations from the ground up, as well as working within strict brand guidelines of global companies. I am a hands-on creative; designing and conceptualizing both digital and print products, with a focus on the User Experience as the determinant force in the details of the design. I am a confident team leader, as well as an intuitive individual contributor working within a group. In 2017, I worked solely freelance.
Wolters Kluwer | January 2017 - Present (Freelance Contractor)
• Invented and designed a recruitment product for this
global information services company.
• Recommended extensions of the brand in web
products and user interactions in digital experiences.
• Created standardizations as a consultant to be
implemented in internal and external software and
• Installed “mini groups” from resources in design,
development, and marketing departments to
• Authored internal guides as references for
design, product development, and user experience
American Public Health Association | February 2017- September 2017 (Freelance Contractor)
• Developed Social Media Marketing strategies to
strengthen the voice of this public health organization.
• Provided creative oversight for all touch points and way-nding themes for monthly conferences.
• Led an initiative to create a cohesive, standardized brand experience across digital, print, and interactive products.
• Modernized signicant elements in look, feel, and User Experience to elevate the perception of the organization.
• Updated and maintained the web presence and provided recommendations for interaction and presentation.
Mosquito Illness Alliance | February 2017- Present (Freelance Contractor)
• Designed a complete brand and identity for this non-profit that improves quality of life for those who suffer from mosquito borne illness.
• Provided guidance and oversight in establishing a video teleconference solution for monthly webinars.
• Designed and created email marketing conventions to gain users and inform public awareness.
• Created social media platforms and developed strategies to establish a community around the organization.
• Designed all print collateral for conferences, marketing initiatives, and organizational products aligned with the brand.
June 2015 - OCTOBER 2016
• Managed a team of 7 designers and front-end
developers in an agency environment.
• Created project plan and scope in conjunction with the
business analysts and identied milestones.
• Led the entire User Experience across web and mobile
• Developed consistent look and feel for all touch points
including digital and print.
• Established visual vocabulary for marketing and
presentation materials to be used by project
• Managed the digital product production process across
the design teams to interface with development. •Worked directly with clients and held regular meetings
to keep them apprised of progress and updates. •Designed and directed the wireframing process based
on requirements gatherings using Axure
• Set timelines and deliverables with stakeholders and
ensured they were met on time.
• Interfaced with the development teams to set
expectations of delivery of products from the design
• Set daily and weekly deliverables within an agile
environment and managed the design process.
APRIL 2014 - APRIL 2015
Oversaw the User Experience for all products and applications for the higher education industry. Directed the entire User experience for the company and pushed to develop innovative, disruptive features that would mark the company as a leader in the market. Conducted user research, developed user scenarios and personas. Maintained a consistent User experience across all products to bring the company’s applications together in experience, look and feel. Designed new prototypes to update existing products to create modern User experiences. Worked directly with executive stakeholders, sales, and directly with customers.
June 2013 - November 2013
Designed User Experiences and User Interfaces for a major e-commerce company in the safety products industry. Developed wireframes and mockups for the entire shopping website including the homepage concept, product pages and a checkout pipeline. Provided creative oversight to insure a consistent User experience between the US and UK experiences.
July 2012 - May 2013
Provided Creative Oversight for all marketing, branding, products, publications and emerging media for all ventures and companies of Merrick Ventures and Wrapports, which included The Chicago Sun Times, Splash magazine, Grid magazine, High School Cube, higi, and Merge Healthcare. Led corporate brand strategy of a diverse portfolio of companies, developing a visual vocabulary that was implemented in identity, messaging and products. Ensured a comprehensive vision and direction consistent and aligned with stakeholders’ and board interests. Oversaw User experiences for digital media including responsive web design and mobile apps. Established style guides for standardization throughout all companies in their publications, marketing efforts, and public spaces. Reported directly to chairman and CEO.
april 2009 - december 2011
Directed User Experience and Interfaces across all products and solutions for this global healthcare company. Managed and directed a creative team of six designers. Created prototypes for new products and concepts for web, mobile and stand alone software. Designed custom applications for mobile apps, workstations, kiosks and other touch screens. Created web-based portals for healthcare industry professionals and their consumers. Prototyped next generation features, site changes, User experience, and oversaw User testing. Served as company creative director for corporate identity, branding and marketing. Provided creative oversight of marketing initiatives for products, trade shows and corporate identity.
january 2008 - April 2009
Created Identity, Branding, User Interfaces and marketing materials for portfolio companies and start-ups. Designed product prototypes including portals, software and applications. Performed integral role in strategic positioning of emerging start-ups and their business models. Oversaw brand architecture, product design, social media management and marketing platform and activation. Worked inside a rapid prototyping environment to develop and deploy cutting-edge innovations in technology
january 2007 - December 2008
Created Identity, Branding, User Interfaces
• Designed web based experiences for brands such as Adidas, Kodak and Apple in an agency environment.
• Developed wireframes based on requirements gathering sessions.
• Worked closely with the user experience designers and development teams.
• Ensured designs were aligned with customer branding and identity based on their style guide.
• Created full sites and micro sites and built out in html.
• Delivered 10-15 designs per week in an agile SCRUM environment.
• Designed email creatives, banners, animation and video pieces exported as ash or streaming formats.
may 2005 - January 2007
Designed Brand and Web Presence for hundreds of new products and inventions for the direct response industry (As Seen on TV). Designed e-Commerce websites that sold products and services. Developed online advertising pieces including web banners, blogs and micro sites to drive revenue.
April 2003 - January 2005
Designed Exhibition Catalogues and accompanying websites for time-based multimedia exhibitions. Responsible for chronicling Time-Based arts in Chicago with documented multimedia pieces. Researched collected documentation from local galleries, dealers, collectors and artists.
If you would like to view the work samples please just send me a request!
I feel my greatest strength is in the fact that I am a hybrid User Experience Designer and a Creative Director. As much as I am concerned with the psychology of human factors and the full User experience, I am equally as passionate about the look, feel and style of whatever it is I'm making. The details of the visual design should get enough attention as the flow of the User Experience.
I believe the investment in the development of the User's Experience shouldn't stop when the User clicks "submit." I'm deeply concerned with the User's entire experience cycle. From booking a reservation at a restaurant online, to the maître d', the menu design, the service--the entire circle of flow should be rich, engaging and consistent at every touchpoint.
When it comes to assembling and directing creative teams, I believe you have to take on the role of casting director. I've had the great luck to find amazing talent to form my teams, and they've gone on to have incredibly successful careeers and remain colleagues and friends after many years.
email@example.com 773 562 9495 chicago